Monday, September 18, 2006

Enjoy the silence.

"The ideal man is his own best friend and takes delight in privacy."

Aristotle (384-322 BCE). Greek philosopher.

There is something to be said for the power of silence and solitude. Even as I sit here at work at around midnight, the value is still not lost to me. Hell, at the very least, the absolute lack of the day's distractions allows me to finish the tasks I set out to complete in the first place. I'm sure most of the world's professional workforce can identify with this experience. It is a bit irritating though when you have to sacrifice your private time in this manner. Sadly, if you don't put in the effort you will never succeed at anything - or get anything done.

I was at Ankhor Wat, in Cambodia in 2000 and while wondering through the temple ruins, I spotted this man sitting quitely by himself. There was a calmness and serenity about him that you rarely see in the modern world these days. I am lucky that I was able to capture the image without disturbing him.

Take time for yourself. Appreciate the luxury of it. It may well save you (read:me) from being prosecuted for multiple homicide, aggravated assualt, or something worse.

Just a thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< Top