Sunday, October 08, 2006

All things universal.

It’s amazing what you dig up from the past sometimes.

A friend recently complimented me on my writing style (thanks Red, I think...). Anyway, it got me thinking. I came across something I wrote six years ago shortly before returning home, and after reading it again it occurred to me that its basic premise still holds true after all these years. The only question that remains is: Was I voicing a universal truth of life, or is this proof that I have really not moved on at all? It think I have odds on the former rather than the latter, but some days... who knows?

“August 2000: It's a very strange feeling to be caught between two worlds. The trip back has come with a mixed bag of emotions. On the one hand, I am experiencing a good deal of excitement at the prospect of returning home. After all, it is the country of my birth, nationality, and indeed my culture. It would be fantastic to see my family after all this time. However, on the other hand, I cannot escape the feeling that my return is somewhat premature. I mean, my family is not going anywhere soon. Why hurry?

It could be said that this feeling is perfectly natural. By that I mean, the way people perceive big changes in their lives. They fear a change, since it implies a step (or several steps) outside their 'comfort zone'. Any experience outside this realm of familiarity is essentially an unknown. Consequently people paint a very rosy picture of what has gone before, and in my case: dwell on it, instead of appreciating the possibilities that lie ahead.”

1 Comments:

Blogger ANNIE said...

I like this... I refuse to comment further as it would result in pages of annie-like drama

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< Top