Friday, August 18, 2006

Hindsight is 20/20

I'm having one of those "could of, would of, should of" moments this morning.

Don't ask why. Let's just put it this way: Why is it that people (read: I) are so comfortable committing themselves to romantic situations knowing full well that there is no real future given the timeframe? Yet, when more logistically and circumstantially viable oppurtunities present themselves, we shy away from them. For clarity, I'll refer to the former option as door 1, and the latter (amazingly enough) as door 2.

I know what you're thinking. More banal rhetoric. Guilty as charged.

Look, you don't have to be a psychology major to realise that people are simply fearful of exposing ourselves and getting hurt. Thrown in a healthy(?) dose of commitment phobia for good measure. I'm no stranger to THAT. After a few scrapes, I've realised that the irony of this is that we are quite prepared to take this risk simply because there is an end, an out. An emotional back door, if you will. But in doing so, we drop our guard and then actually start to care. Once that happens, we then still have to let go.

So, my point is this. With all the risks being what they are, why don't we just keep on walking, and put all the effort into door 2 and be done with it.

I know the right answers, it's just a thought.

2 Comments:

Blogger ANNIE said...

Not to be a downer, but have you considered your age as it applies to the door choosing?

10:50 PM  
Blogger ANNIE said...

Did I hit a nerve? Where have you been? Dazzle me with something!

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< Top